Friday, May 14, 2010

Final Portfolio

Here's the link:
Final Portfolio

When I started out in this class, I was hoping to learn more about life drawing in terms of value studies and details. I was not expecting the complete 180 of drawing figures in terms of a structural approach with lines and planes. This at first was a little unsettling but as I moved through the semester, I began to understand why learning drawing this way was just as important as the value and detailing. It helps to develop a better sense of how the body is formed structurally, rather than just simple outlining that can flatten the end image. The anatomy lectures were helpful, though at the same time I honestly felt that they were a little too detailed for applying to the exterior form.

Before this course, I'll be truthful in saying I had an extreme dislike for cross contours. When I applied them to the human form though, I began to understand them as more than just lines that were straight across the outline. I saw how the curvature of them helped to define the varying shapes that are seen on parts of the body. I will possibly be using them in my personal drawings in the future, but more than likely only as a base of what my final composition will look like.

As for the Maniken - it just never was (or is) going to be something I am a fan of. I understood how it was helpful in applying the anatomy lectures and having a visual to reference for drawing, but I couldn't appreciate the clay modeling. This more than likely is because of my hand tremors, which I've talked about in 1 or 2 earlier posts. By no means am I advocating that it should be taken out of the coursework because I do believe it is very helpful, but I just want to say that I personally disliked it.

I think my line-work still has a long ways to go. My main problem is that when I draw from sketching I either draw too light or am too heavy-handed. I am still having issues building the line weight as I work, rather than going back and adjusting it after. It's definitely something I can work to improve upon.

I definitely think that my ability to perceive the human figure with an anatomical eye has improved quite a bit since the beginning of the semester; even since midterm. It has become less about the minor details and outlining and more about the planes and the cross-contours to help develop the form in space on my paper. I now look at random people (when it's not creepy) and visualize in my head how I would draw the contours in order to capture what I'm seeing.

Although I'm not a new fan of structural drawing and will more than likely stick to my personal tastes of value, I am confident that what I've learned in this class will have a big impact on my future work. By understanding the anatomical and structural qualities of the human figure, I can better create a 3-D form on paper than just by outlining details and having the value make the level changes. I can also look back at my old work and see where mistakes have been made so I can continue to develop my skills based on what I have learned in this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment