Monday, February 15, 2010

Meet My Shell


Meet my shell. I'm currently using this for my drawing class in order to complete some assignments. My latest assignment was to do some research to find out more about it.


First, I discovered that it is a conch shell - I somehow subconsciously knew this, but needed to check anyways. The word "conch" comes from the French terminology for the Greek word that was used to described shellfish and their shells, and is now currently used to refer only to the shell. They are typically occupied by sea snails, otherwise known as gastropod mollusks. They are common in the Indian Ocean, as well as along the American side of the Atlantic Ocean all the way down to Brazil.


They range from medium to large sizes; some typical sizes are 7 or 12 inches. They are typically pink on the inside, and can range between creams and browns on the outside. A recognizable feature is its flaring lip with a stromboid notch near the anterior end. Most of the information that I was finding otherwise was describing the snail. I wasn't able to find much about the shell itself other than some human uses such as making horns.

No comments:

Post a Comment