Monday, February 8, 2010

Reflections on Life Drawing


So in the past week for Life Drawing, we have been working on gesture drawing (seen to the left) and contour drawing, which I discussed a little in my last post.

For our last class, we focused on learning about the functions and display of the spine. At first when we learned on the first day of class that we would be learning about individual parts of the body to progress in our drawing, I wasn't too enthused.

Now that we have actually focused on a specific part, I've learned that it is extremely important. By doing so, we are able to understand how the body is functioning as well as concepts in drawing such as fore-shortening. We also were able to work on our line weight, which is something I would like to continue to do as I know I have a bit of a heavy hand when it comes to drawing.

The only thing I have a hard time appreciating is keeping your hand off the paper as you draw. It's supposed to make a more fluid movement through your arm as you sketch, but I almost feel like at least a part of my hand should touch the paper so as to keep an intimate connection. By taking my hand off the paper, I feel like I'm breaking the flow - that I'm losing that connection between myself and my subject.

Anyways, that's my reflection for this time around - more next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment